Family History in Photos


Some of the photos had captions and dates. Others did not.  Years are available when indicated.  I determined the order based on the ages of the children in the photos.
Christine Eckenstein Drautz.

1938

Myself, 12 years old, when I had to babysit these two children on the farm where I lived for about 2 or 3 years in Feldberg. Kreis Mullheim, Baden, Germany.
Forgot the names of the children, but the parents were Martha and Erich Waldkirch. At that place I had to work like a slave.



1940

My last year 1940.
I was the only Prodestant in the school. Lived with Family Zeisset (my aunt), Leustetten, Kreis Uberlingen, Germany (19.9.1985)


On my school graduation in 1940 when I was 14 years old. My aunt gave me her shoes and watch. It was stolen when I was 17 years old and lived with my godfather and his wife was working in a ?.  At that time I also went to business school.







My school graduation picture. I was 14 years old.





Myself shortly before I was drafted into the air force on New Years Eve in 1944. My fiancee, a friend, and myself deserted in March 1945 after a bomb destroyed our office at the airport and the city was destroyed by many bombs.






Planting cabbage at the nursery in Lorrach, Germany. The owner's name was Mr. Russer. I lived with my Godfather: Heinrich Gotte, just have a block away. Was 17 years old and never even went out with a boy. When some boys came to the fence to talk to me, Mr. Russer came running and scared them away! Went to business school at the same time. I had lots of fun and hard work!





This was a lady which came to buy some things, plants, or flowers. We had a big greenhouse full of flowers. She was a good customer. I liked her very much. Why did the photographer cut her head off? This lady had a son she wanted me to meet, but I was never interested and we never met.
In the meadow of the family of a young man in Germany who had been a prisoner of war here for 2 years. When he came back, he wrote to me to come to this parents house to get married. His family was very nice and his sisters and I had a lot of fun, but he was too forward and I went home again. 





Papa before I met him walking a line without a dog! The dog went for a walk himself.


In the airforce on the lookout for bombs! Did not know that the picture was taken. My shoes are muddy clear up to the ankles! Spring 1945.

?, Spring 1945
Sunday afternoon in the airforce. Reading was my favorite past time activity. To my left is the forest where the airplanes were hidden. My fiancee, Carl Dvorak from Wien, Austria, took the picture.


Papa after Concentration camp Dachau! "I love you!"











1950
? Doctor's order in Germany way up in the Black Forest at a restaurant called Sirinty.  We would go there to pick blueberries with Mother for a few days. Then go home and make jam and juice. Angela is in the wash bucket after we hung up the diapers. People there just loved her. When Papa came to visit, I wanted to go home! And we did!

Add caption
No caption.

On the balcony of a neighbor lady on a Sunday afternoon. Northstrasse, 2782 Zurich.
I had made my pullover turquoise-green.
I was worried the balcony would break.
My health was not too good, so our house doctor, living next door, sent me on vacation. I went with Angela to Oma for a while. When Papa came to visit we went home again. I missed him too much!

Happy Angela with doll given to her by a neighbor lady. At the balcony of our neighbors.
Zurich 1950



Afraid of heights? I was all my life. I think Angela was, too.
Way down below is the North Street, cars and people.
Zurich, Switzerland 1950
Balcony was too short to take myself! Across the street was a school house.



Saturday afternoon. Papa making hay on Northstrasse. Angela and myself having fun.
A neighbor took the picture. We lived in a house 5 stories high. Each floor belonged to one family. The clotheslines were used by everyone in the house.



A dove at the Zurichsee in Zurich, Switzerland.
About 1 year old.
September 1950.
Renato was born on 8.6.1952. Mario is in the stroller with the hat on. Angela in front of it.








Angela and Mario! We were on a Sunday stroll.

No caption.
No caption.












1954

Summer 1954 (After the twins were born)
On a vacation somewhere in the forest. We did have a nice time, even so we had to get the water outside. Papa's boss made the house available to us. It stood all alone in the meadows!



Soon after the birth of the twins. I had a little much on my hands and the doctor sent me soon after this picture was taken into the Alps on vacation.


Who is who? On a Sunday afternoon stroll in the forest in Zurich, Switzerland.
Orlando-Romeo 

The jackets and caps are yellow, real soft and fuzzy.
Orlando (He looks like Emily, ha ha ha) / Romeo (he has a more rounder face)




On vacation in the Alps. Sent there by our house doctor when the twins were about 9 months old. I was so homesick that I went home when Papa came to visit me; even so I should have stayed longer. He said: "It's so lonely without you at the house."
The lady was on vacation, too. Her husband took the picture. They comforted me.)
At the doorstep of the house on Northstrasse 289, Zurich, Switzerland.
A very happy Angela with beloved doll.  I had made her sweater out of 7 colors-very pretty. Mario had the same.
On a Sunday afternoon stroll in the forest close to our house on Northstrasse.

1955


No caption.



Angela in kindergarten (always busy, busy, busy).

Angela in kindergarten. She really liked her teacher.


Angela and Mario doing a mosaic together.

From left to right:
Angela, my mother holding Orlando, my sister Marie behind Renato playing the harmonica, my sister Hedwig with her daughter Regina, myself, Mario to my left, and Romeo in front. Papa took the picture!


Angela with Orlando and Romeo and Renato on the trotinett.



At the front door step of the house on Northstrasse 278, Zurich, Switzerland.
A very happy Angela with her beloved doll. I had made her sweater out of 7 colors, very pretty. Mario had the same.






1958

Easter 1958
In Whittlingen, Kreis Lorrach in front of my cousin's (Ernst) Volkswagon. In the background is the barn of my Uncle Ernst. The house is to the right and the highway goes right by the house. The pullovers I had made for Angela and Mario and were very colorful (7 colors). Now Mario and Renato are wearing them. Orlando and Romeo have pullovers also I had made.






My mother holding Orlando (initial O on sweater I had made). Renato riding on my sister Marie's shoulder. 


1960

Look at the happy father with Christiano!
Fall 1960-Soon after papa and myself came home from a trip to Italy. The children were sure happy to see us home again. We were very happy to be home with the children again. They did not like the housekeeper.



Comments