April 11, 1981 6:30 am

April 11, 1981 6:30 am

My grandfather, which I still have known and remember very well, has always been a good example to me. He was very kind and loving, gentle, and understanding. My mother told me that she broke once a stack of cups. He mother told her that she had to go and get new cups from somewhere, of course she gave her no money. My mother was downhearted and did not know what to do. Stealing was out of the question because she was very well-taught in keeping the commandments. So, finally, her father gave her money, without the mother's knowledge, to buy some new cups.

My grandfather was, on the hand, very strict. Once my mother had a new dress with a row of buttons in front. It was Sunday and she went outside to show it off. She was a young lady then, in her twenties.  Her father came after her and cut off the buttons right on the street in front of the house and said it is "fivly-faus' which means nonsense.  He always kept the Sabbath day holy.  When other famers would on Sunday would go and get the hay or wheat in when it was raining, he said, "We are not going."

I remember him well and I loved him a lot. When he died, I was working a nursery. From white and red little asters I made him a big, big wreath. One incident I remember vividly. I was 17 years old and walking with my grandfather on the street in the city.  *End of entry

Note: The grandfather in this story is Johann Jacob Eckenstein, born 22 June 1865 in Wittlingen, Baden, Germany.  The grandmother is Christine Gempp, born 31 December 1858 in Wittlingen, Baden, Germany.

Comments